We all go through times where we feel like the world has us beat. Even if it’s not to that extreme, everyone has at some point, felt discouraged enough that they dread getting out of bed the next morning. You worry what’s going to happen next because you lack confidence in yourself. You feel as though you won’t be able to handle the next challenge that’s thrown at you; you feel that you just aren’t enough.
Well, guess what? You are enough, and we’re here to prove it to you. We’ve come up with a list of 11 daily exercises that are guaranteed to boost your self-confidence and help you take on each hurdle life throws at you!
- Work out right after you wake up. Don’t give yourself a chance to skip your workout—just roll out of bed and do it! Whether it’s for ten minutes or an hour, you’ll feel proud of yourself for being so active so early in the day. Plus, it will get your metabolism moving and increase productivity and alertness throughout the rest of the day.
- Eat a good breakfast. Refuel properly after your workout so that you don’t crash later in the morning. Eat a healthy balance of protein, fat, and carbs to nourish your body and mind. It doesn’t have to be fancy; a simple bowl of oatmeal or a combination of eggs and toast will do just fine. Just be sure you don’t make the mistake of skipping your first meal!
- Get cleaned up like you mean it. Feeling good, has a lot to do with looking Put on clothes that make you feel good, do your makeup if you want to, and slip on your favorite shoes before heading out the door. It’s incredible how showing a little extra self-care can improve your mood. Don’t forget to tell your reflection how beautiful she is too! (No, we’re not kidding, actually compliment yourself out loud)!
- Write a reminder to focus on your posture and leave it somewhere you’ll see it all day. Good posture has been shown to increase energy, reduce stress, raise productivity and boost self-esteem. It also portrays confidence to those around you. So sit up straight to not only feel, but also look more confident!
- Smile and say “hi” to three random people each day. This is an exercise in demonstrating confidence (even if you don’t actually feel it). We know how much it makes our day to hear someone go out of their way to be friendly to us, yet for some reason, we fear judgment for doing the same. Step out of your comfort zone and make someone else’s bad day just a little brighter by smiling and saying hi. You will impress them and stand out from others, but you also might make a new friend!
- Give a compliment you mean. Keep this strategy in the back of your mind throughout the day, and use it as motivation to see those around you in a positive light. When you find yourself admiring your co-worker’s new dress or a family member’s haircut, speak up! It builds better relationships and demonstrates that you are someone confident enough in your own identity that you don’t feel threatened by others. As a bonus, you might have just made someone’s day!
- Clear your workspace. Give yourself a fresh start by sweeping off your desk and cleaning out overflowing drawers. It will increase your productivity and reduce stress, making you feel more prepared to take on challenges that get thrown your way during the workday.
- Make a list of your goals. Give you life a sense of direction you’d like it to be heading in. Career goals, relationship goals, personal goals—write ‘em all down! It doesn’t have to be a long or even a complete list (you can add to it over time). Writing is a great way to solidify your aspirations as goals that you’re actually working towards, instead of ideas that are simply floating in your head.
- Ask for the help you’ve been putting off. Get more comfortable learning and collaborating with others because you will be able to make much faster progress in whatever you are doing, if you have help from other individuals. Trying to take on, learn and do everything on your own is not confidence, it’s stubbornness. People will respect you more for being able to admit that you need help, than if you deny it.
- Take a chance. Whether it’s sending in your resume for the job you think you can’t get, accepting a dinner invitation, or making crème brulee for the first time, don’t be afraid to try things you might fail at. Taking risks is the only way to make real progress, so jump in and start today!
- Make some “me” time. Even if it’s just ten minutes before turning out the lights at night, show yourself love! Relax with a mug of tea and a book, write in a journal, stretch, or listen to a few favorite songs. Reward yourself for a successful day and you’ll be more motivated to start the next day off strong, as well!
These exercises aren’t anything special; just basic things you can start doing to self-love and start thinking positively. When life feels out of control however, the basics are what we need to start getting back in to start believing in ourselves again. There is far more power in these small actions than we give them credit for, so give them a shot!
And let us know in the comments: what’s your favorite strategy to boost self-confidence? And how do you like to spend your “me” time?